Highlights of white paper on national reunification
A white paper titled "The Taiwan Question and China's Reunification in the New Era" was published on Wednesday. Here are some highlights of the principles, policies and measures on realizing national reunification in the new era.
1. How to realize peaceful reunification?
1) We will work with the greatest sincerity and exert our utmost efforts to achieve peaceful reunification. But we will not renounce the use of force, and we reserve the option of taking all necessary measures.
2) Peaceful reunification can only be achieved through consultation and discussion as equals.
a. based on the one-China principle and the 1992 Consensus
b. have broad exchange of views with all parties, groups, or individuals in Taiwan
c. phase in flexible forms of consultation and discussion
2. What kind of social system will Taiwan practice after reunification?
1) Taiwan may continue its current social system and the two social systems will develop side by side for a long time to come.
2) Provided that China's sovereignty, security and development interests are guaranteed, after reunification Taiwan will enjoy a high degree of autonomy as a special administrative region.
3) We will work together to refine and implement the Two Systems solution to the Taiwan question, to improve the institutional arrangements for implementing the "one country, two systems" policy, and to ensure lasting peace and stability in Taiwan.
3. How will Taiwan handle foreign-related affairs after reunification?
1) Foreign countries can continue to develop economic and cultural relations with Taiwan.
With the approval of the central government --
2) they may set up consulates or other official and quasi-official institutions in Taiwan,
3) international organizations and agencies may establish offices, relevant international conventions can be applied, and relevant international conferences can be held there.